Inferior Press

Just your run of the mill ranting and quirky observations. Nothing special or atypical here. (DISCLAIMER: My early posts (circa 2006) are not for the easily offended. I had a propensity to write contextually brash and use coarse vernacular associated with the disenfranchised and bitter (read: failed rock star). I plan to continue to write off collar posts here but I will attempt to amplify witticism by mitigating the reliance upon "shock value" gained from profanity.)

Monday, May 22, 2006

Madness

The websterian definition of insanity is: "Persistent mental disorder or derangement." I like this colloquialism better: "Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results."

That's pretty fitting for my daily life. I'm constantly in a viscious cycle of some sort, self imposed of course.

For example: I should be at work already. I said yesterday that I would not end up working weekends ever again. I said that last weekend too. And the weekend before that. What happens is, after I work my ass off on the weekend trying to catch up, I'm burned out on Monday. The laziness multiplies and then the next thing I know, I'm working weekends to make up my time.

Another viscious cycle I get into is relationships. I spend my bachelorhood/single life trying to get into the next relationship and then when I'm in a relationship, I use all my effort to continue to act like a bachelor and get back to being single.

My favorite is the: "I'll get up early" V.C. I work nights so I usually sleep late. I would like to get up earlier and actually accomplish something of substance but since I didn't wake up early, I have to stay up late just to do what I wanted to do. Which means I sleep late. And on and on.

I know all it takes is a change in routine. The hard part is making that change effectively. Usually I attempt it, and if I have a modicum of success, it is usually fleeting and futile. I end up back in the rut.

If I was better at math I could invent a time machine and go back in time to knock some sense into my 8 year old self.

The conversation would probably go as follows:

Me/26: "Hey, dude, you gotta learn your math. It will be useful in everything you do."

Me/8: "Fuck that. I hate math."

Me/26: "Dude. I'm you from the future. It took me so long to get back here because I suck at math."

Me/8: "How do I really know your from the future and you're really me?"

Me/26: "We look a like don't we? Besides, how else could I possibly know that you like chicks already?"

Me/8: "How did you know about that?"

Me/26: "Because I'm you dude. I even know which chick you like."

Me/8: "Oh yeah? Who?"

Me/26: "This week, it's Hannah Huckfelt."

Me/8: "Whoa. You really are me."

Me/26: (Slaps my younger self on the head) "No shit."

Me/8: "What the fuck was that for?"

Me/26: "I needed to knock some sense in you. Here's a list of shit to do over the next few years."

Me/8: "Don't stop playing baseball? Start lifting weights? Learn math and science? Don't get addicted to jacking off? And learn the guitar?"

Me/26: "Oh yeah, and don't start smoking cigarettes. I'm serious on this one. Here's a guitar, here's some chords, have at it. I'm going back to my own time now."

Me/8: "Alright! Thanks for the sage advice."

Me/26: "Right on dude. Later."

And after I'm gone the little bastard will crumple up the list and toss it over his shoulder and say to himself: "Fuck that old dude. What does he know? I think I'm gonna skip baseball practice today because it's hot and go look a the Sears catalog...."

And so goes another viscious cycle.

4 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hannah Huckfelt....her sister was hotter when she got older.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Cloak and Dagger: The Man in the Shadows said...

yeah I know

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

and don't forget about bibbit

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Cloak and Dagger: The Man in the Shadows said...

ah yes the past. in retrospect though, she wasn't even that hot. we must have just been desperate losers.
not that much changed tho.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home